The world-famous St. Peter's square, celebrated model of baroque architecture and urban planning, is the square just in front of the Saint Peter's basilica in the Vatican City. The square, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1656 on commission of Pope Alexander VII Chigi, has always been considered the heart of Catholicism: the oval colonnade, in fact, still today, embraces thousands of catholics from all over the world.Parco degli Acquedotti
The Parco degli Acquedotti is a green urban area of Rome, in the VII Town Hall, which is part of the suburban Regional Park of the ancient Appia. It extends for about 240 hectares and its name springs from the presence in elevated or underground of seven Roman and papal aqueducts that supplied the ancient Rome: Anio Vetus (underground), Marcia, Tepula, Iuliae Felice (superimposed), Claudio and Anio Novus (overlapping). The park is a portion of Agro Romano that originally extended without interruption to the Alban Hills. It stands out for its abundance of arboreal vegetation, in particular pines. It also welcomes a pond that flows from the Felice aqueduct and which gives life to a watercourse and a waterfall that follow the ancient water ditch of the Acqua Mariana. In the area surrounding the park there are numerous important archaeological remains, as well as the parish church of San Policarpo.Piazza di Spagna
Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Square) is famous for its steps of the Trinità dei Monti, wrongly named the Spanish Steps, and is one of the most famous squares in the world. Its name derives from the palace of Spain, seat of the Spanish embassy to the Holy See. At the center of the square is the famous Barcaccia fountain, which dates back to the early Baroque period, sculpted by Pietro Bernini and his son, the more famous Gian Lorenzo Bernini.Teatro Marcello
The teatro di Marcello (Marcello's Theater) is a theater from ancient Rome erected at the behest of Augustus in the southern area of Campo Marzio between the Tiber River and the Capitol hill. Marcello's theater is an interesting product from the period of transition towards the classicism of the late Augustan age: the sobriety in the structure of the façade became a model for every theater and future Roman amphitheater.Villa d'Este
The Villa d'Este in Tivoli is a masterpiece in Italian Renaissance style and is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The villa was commissioned by Cardinal Ippolito d'Este, on a site formerly home to a Roman villa. The splendid garden, the work of the genius Pirro Ligorio, extends from the rear façade of the villa and is divided between terraces and slopes that harmoniously connect the different slopes of the garden.Palazzo del Quirinale
The Quirinale Palace is a historical palace in Rome, situated on the Quirinale hill. From 1870 to 1946 it was the official royal residence for the kind of Italy and since 1946 it is the official residence of the President of the Italian Republic. The Quirinale Palace is unique in the world because from 1583 it is associated with the Latin concept of Auctoritas: no other building in the world has this chronological depth.Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta
The Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, located on the Aventine hill and designed by Giovan Battista Piranesi in 1765, takes its name from the fact of being the access to the villa of the Priory of Malta. It has always been a privileged destination for those who want to admire the Saint Peter's Dome from an extraordinary perspective, looking through the keyhole of the gateway to the headquarters of the Military Sovereign of the Order of Malta.Arco di Costantino
The arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch with three arches situated on a short distance from the Colosseum. The Arco, a tribute wanted by the Senate to commemorate the victory of Constantine I against Maxentius in the battle of Ponte Milvio, is unanimously considered as a real masterpiece of official Roman sculpture.Castel Sant'Angelo
Castel Sant'Angelo (or Mole Adrianorum or Castellum Crescentii in the 10th-12th century), also called Hadrian's Mausoleum, is a monument of Rome, located on the right bank of the Tiber opposite the pons Aelius (current Sant'Angelo bridge), not far from the Vatican, in the Borgo district; it is connected to the Vatican State through the fortified corridor of the "passetto". The castle has been radically altered several times in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Started by Emperor Hadrian in 125 as his funeral mausoleum, inspired by the now complete mausoleum of Augustus, it was completed by Antoninus Pius in 139. The mausoleum was composed of a cubic base, covered in Lunense marble, with a decorative "teste di buoi" (Bucrani) and angular pilasters. In the frieze facing the river one could read the names of the emperors buried inside. Also on this side was the entrance arch named after Adriano; the "dromos" (access passage) was entirely covered in antique yellow marble.
The mausoleum took its current name in 590. In that year Rome was afflicted by a severe plague, to remove which was organized a solemn penitential procession in which Pope Gregory I. participated when the procession arrived near the Mole Adriana, the pope had the vision of the archangel Michael who sheathed his sword. The vision was interpreted as a celestial sign announcing the imminent end of the epidemic, which actually happened. Since then the Romans began to call Castel Sant'Angelo the Mole Adriana and, in memory of the prodigy in the 13th century, placed an angel on the highest peak of the castle in order to sheathe the sword. Still today a circular stone is preserved in the Musei Capitolini with footprints that according to tradition would be those left by the Archangel when he stopped to announce the end of the plague.Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi
The Fountain of the Four Rivers, located in the center of Piazza Navona, in front of the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (designed by Borromini) was conceived and shaped by the sculptor and architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini between July 1648 and June 1651 on commission of Pope Innocent X. The fountain celebrates the triumph of the Church over the four parts of the world. The tradition, which recalls the rivalry between Bernini and the contemporary Borromini, tells that the character who impersonates the Rio della Plata raises his hand towards the church of Sant'Agnese as a sign of defense.Colosseo
Located in the archaeological heart of Rome, the Flavian Amphitheater, or more commonly Colosseum, stands out for its monumentality and welcomes daily a large number of visitors attracted by the intact charm of its history and its complex architecture. It is not only the largest amphitheater of the city of Rome, but also of the world.Altare della Patria
Designed by the architect Giuseppe Sacconi, the Altare della Patria is also known by the Monument of Victor Emanuel II, named after the first king of Italy Vittorio Emanuelle II of Savoia. Since 1921, when the remains of an Unknown Soldier were added, the monument took on a new symbolic value, and what had initially been thought of as a dynastic monument, became definitively a celebration of united Italy and its freedom.Fori Imperiali
The Fori Imperiali (imperial forums) are a group of monumental squares built between 46 BC and 113 AD in the heart of the city of Rome by some of the Roman emperors.
The Roman Forum, the old republican square, which had been the political, religious and economic center of the city for centuries , is not part of them. Under Caesar and Augustus, the construction of the Basilica Giulia and the rebuilding of the Basilica Emilia gave the Forum a certain regularity.Ara Pacis
The Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace) is an altar dedicated by Augustus in 9 BC to the divinity of Peace. Situated in the area of the Campus Marzio, consecrated to the celebration of victories, this monument represents one of the most significant testimonies received from the Augustan art and intends to symbolize the peace and prosperity achieved as a result of Pax Romana.
The Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana (the Palace of Italian Civilization), better known as the Squared Colosseum because of its square plan, is a monumental building in the modern EUR district in Rome. Conceived since 1936 and designed in 1937, its construction began in July 1938 and was inaugurated, although incomplete, in 1940. The works were interrupted in 1943 and then concluded after the war.Pantheon
The Pantheon (which means "temple of all gods" in old greek) is an ancient Roman building and is situated in the Pigna district in the historical centre of Rome. It was once built as a temple dedicated to all past, present and future deities. The Pantheon was built by the emperor Hadrian between 118 and 125 a.d. on top of the remains of the earlier temple of 27 b.c. Almost twothousand years after the construction, the dome of the Pantheon is still today one of the largest domes in the world.Colle del Campidoglio
The Campidoglio, also known as Capitol hill, is one of the seven hills on which Rome was founded. At the Campidoglio you also find the city hall of Rome. It houses the mayor offices, the council chamber and other representative areas like the Protomoteca where the Treaties of Rome (1957) and the Rome Statute (1998) were signed.Circo Massimo
The Circus Maximus is an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium. Situated in the valley between the Palatine hill and the Aventine hill, it is remembered as a venue for games since the beginning of the city's history: in the valley would have happened the mythical episode of the rape of the Sabines, on the occasion of the games called by Romulus in honor of the god Consus. Its proximity to the Tiber landing made the place the elective space for market activities, games and competitions.Villa Adriana
Hadrian's Villla was an extra-urban imperial residence from the 2nd century onwards. It was wanted by the emperor Hadrian (117-138) and it is located near Tivoli (the ancient Tibur), today in the metropolitan city of Rome. Realized gradually in the first half of the II century, the villa is a rich complex of buildings extended on an area rich in water sources with a distance of 17 Roman Miles from the city. Since 1999 Hadrian's Villa is a World Heritage Site.Bocca della Verità
The Bocca della Verità (Mouth of Truth) is an ancient marble mask, placed in the left wall of the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin church in 1632. The mask represents a bearded male face; eyes, nose and mouth are pierced and hollow.The face has been interpreted over time as a representation of various subjects: Jupiter Ammone, the god Oceano, an oracle or a faun.Piramide Cestia
What is an Egyptian pyramid doing in the heart of Rome?
It is the tomb of the magistrate Caio Cestius Epulone, built around 12 BC. Inside, like a pharaoh, the praetor placed his treasure; the possibility of a plunder stimulated someone to desecrate the tomb by entering the funeral hall. The Pyramid of Cestia was, according to an inscription on the facade in 330 days, built with concrete.DISCOVER ALL ACTIVITIES IN ROME